6 Ways You May Be Aging Your Skin – Causes & Tips To Help With Premature Skin Aging
It’s an unfortunate fact of living that we can’t avoid aging in the process however, we can take steps to help prevent future skin damage and help reduce the appearance of some of the damage that may have already happened. Check out these 6 things that may be accelerating your skin’s aging and what you can do to help your skin:
- Sun exposure. The majority of skin aging results from the amount of sun our skin is exposed to throughout our life. The sun breaks down collagen fibers in our skin, causing it to wrinkle and sag; it can also cause age spots to occur. To help diminish the signs of skin aging, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher along with a comprehensive sun protection program including wearing sun protective clothing, hats, sunglasses, and avoiding the sun between the hours of 10am – 2pm. There are numerous anti-aging products on the market today that have anti-aging ingredients with an added sunscreen in the mix. This can help eliminate at lest one step in a morning routine that is probably already packed with too many things to do. Work smarter not harder 🙂 Roc Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer With Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30, is one that comes to mind.
- Smoking. Whether you smoke or spend time around someone who smokes, your body is being depleted of Vitamin C, which is a key ingredient for helping defend against the visible signs of skin aging. In addition, smoking greatly increases skin dryness and wrinkles. Find yourself a good Vitamin C serum with at least a 15% Vitamin C content, it is best stored in an air-tight container away from sunlight, air and sunlight both break down the efficacy of Vitamin C over time. Use this serum under your sunscreen or makeup to help protect against environmental stressors. There is however one caveat to Vitamin C use that I have recently learned. If you suffer from rosacea a full strength Vitamin C is too caustic for the skin, you will need to look for a cream or serum with Vitamin C ester, as it is much more less likely to inflame the rosacea.
- Sleep. During sleep, body tissues, including the skin, are renewed and repaired. Prolonged lack of sleep can accelerate signs of aging, including skin aging. Also, sleeping on your face in the same position for too long can cause it to wrinkle. To help maintain healthy-looking skin, get a good night’s sleep on your back or switch positions, if possible. It also helps to use a satin pillow case as it is not as rough or damaging to skin as other materials. Even those high thread count pillow cases are still harsh on delicate facial skin.
- Stress. Prolonged emotional and physical stress increases the secretion of stress hormones, which accelerate aging. Stress also causes repetitive frowning, which can trigger facial muscles to hold on to that expression over time, i.e. frown lines. To help aging skin, be aware of your stress level and try to vary your facial expressions throughout the day. Manage stress with meditation, yoga, exercise, other relaxation techniques, anything that works for you that helps you decompress and de-stress. Shoot try kick-boxing or take self-defense classes sometimes things that help make you feel empowered helps to give stress the boot.
- Dry skin. Some people just have naturally drier skin, but it can also be caused by windy and/or low temperatures and all indoor heat during the cold winter months. These environmental factors not only cause skin dryness but can also cause wrinkling. Keep dry skin in check by drinking lots of water and using a super-hydrating moisturizer to help keep the skin hydrated, especially in the harsh winter months. If you can, try and use a humidifier at night to keep moisture in the air while you sleep so you don’t lose that precious moisture at while you sleep. Sleeping in a night-time moisturizing facial mask is beneficial as well, put it on last at night after your regular skincare routine to help lock in all those products you just applied, this can help them work better. Garnier makes a good one called MIRACLE SLEEPING CREAM ANTI-AGE + ANTI-FATIGUE NIGHT CREAM. It is an affordable nighttime mask that can be found at any local Wal-Greens, CVS or Wal-Mart. Hydration, hydration, hydration!
- Diet. A diet high in sugar and processed carbohydrates can age your skin by damaging collagen and elastin, leading to wrinkles and sagging. As they say, “You are what you eat”…and “you” includes your skin! To help keep your skin as young-looking as possible, eat a diet rich in antioxidants such as fruits and vegetables, which have been shown to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and create a more youthful-looking complexion. Antioxidants can help fight free radicals, those tiny and unstable molecules that have been shown to cause damage at the cellular level.
It’s a simple fact, we are all going to grow old and start to wrinkle but we can also age gracefully and do all we can to help ease us into the prospect of growing old. It’s never too late or too early to begin taking care of the skin God gave us to face the world with everyday.